Wednesday, March 13, 2013

'88 CRX Si






I have a '88 CRX Si that I will be fixing up over the course of the next year or two. It is actually what inspired me to start my own blog. My ultimate goal for my CRX is to not only to restore it but to make it tuner magazine worthy.

The car as it is now is all original. Its got its original SOHC D16 with 251,000 miles on it, decently clean for 88 original Si interior, and lucky me, it came stock from the dealership (back in 88 of course) with an SiR front end. I know nearly all of the car history because my grandmother bought the car in 89.  I remember riding in the trunk on a pile of pillows staring at the sky through the hatch window when I was 5. There is most definitely sentimental value here. It still has its original Rio Red paint..Its in need of new fenders, hood, and door panel due to some irreparable dents.

Every time I go to an import show I search for the 88-91 CRXs. I get so excited when I find one that is done tastefully and brings out the original heart of that car. Prime example, Import Faceoff, Baytown, TX Oct 2012, I had the privilege to see a very minty CRX in milano red. Gorgeous leather, JDM Back Seat, B16A swap. Not many people paid it much attention because it looked too stock. not many noticed how much labor this guy had to have put into his car. My boyfriend and I spoke to the owner for a good 45 minutes about his car. I found my inspiration for my grandmothers CRX. I wont be copy catting, but that car gave me hope for mine.

Now, to the exciting part! I ordered the engine swap and suspension for my 88 a few days ago! I decided I want to do what in my opinion is a legendary build. I don't want to spend the next several years building my way up to what I know I would ultimately want. Also the particular engine is going to be increasingly rare and difficult to find the longer I wait. For you Honda fans, if you haven't already guessed, I am getting a B18C ITR swap. The Integra type R was, and still is in many eyes, the pride and joy of Honda. The developers poured their hearts into this engine and it is renowned to all Honda fan-boys (and girls).


I ordered my swap from HMO. I refuse to do anything half assed on this car, if I am going to get one of the most pricey swaps I want to make sure my investment is sound by buying through a company that warranties their products. They were a DREAM to work with. I ordered a whole bunch of Hasport parts through HMO and they gave me such a deal on my custom ITR package which included a JDM ITR gauge, hood with buttons, some custom plugs and several other assorted items. We had to wait on an ITR stearing wheel, we'll be ordering it as soon as its back in stock. The owner was so helpful every step of the way. He went above and beyond what we could have asked for.

For my suspension I contacted Ground Control and they put together a custom Koni package for me. They too were FANTASTIC to work with. They threw in t-shirts and stickers and a bunch of other goodies for both me and my boyfriend. I got one of the tank tops that they have for their models to wear, so that will be fun to have at the next car show.

So now I just have to wait for everything to get here to get working! Also I have to make up my mind on what color I will be painting the CRX. Pewter Metallic Grey, Rio Red, or Milano Red?

No comments:

Post a Comment