Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My suspension is here!

I am so excited to announce that I received my suspension in the mail the other day! Ground Control threw in 2 t-shirts, and 6 stickers. My car was already up on jack stands, torn apart and waiting for them to arrive. UPS package tracking is so useful like that. the springs are 430 front and 350 rear. The konis are fully adjustable so my car will most likely be changing ride heights several times over the next few weeks until I get it to right where I like it.


While we were dismantling the suspension (much  to my boyfriends annoyance) I meticulously cleaned everything. not only to check for the tiniest bit of rust but also so I could cover up any red in the wheel wells. While I was doing that I made an amazing discovery! Because this car spent the majority of its life in the pacific northwest someone had the forethought to get the entire undercarriage of the car sprayed in a protective rubber coating. I dont know if it was my grandmother, the dealership, or the guy who had it for about a year or so before my grandmother bought it. Anyway it worked wonders, there were only a couple of spots where the original paint was exposed and there wasnt even a hint of rust. Not on the quarter panels, not in the front fenders, none. I have been going over every inch of this car. When I got everything dry, I sprayed the exposed paint black.



My boyfriend painted the lower control arms and the sway bar purple for me. Now before anyone gets a heart attack oer the colors, I will be painting the car a dark grey. I havent yet picked the actual color code but it gave me the ability to decide that I want purple as my accent color. It looks crazy right now though... I was joking with my friends that it looks like a crayola crayon box.




And the finished product! For now...



And the fronts. Oh and yes I do get my hands dirty too, I did the front passenger side by myself while my boyfriend was at work.


I decided to take the mud flaps off since they were in perfect condition and I didn't want to see them damaged once the car was lowered. This is what I found behind the wheel well in the front fenders. Gross right? Luckily, still no rust!




No comments:

Post a Comment